Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Eldar - The Beginning

So I decided to construct an Eldar army. Not sure why - I've enjoyed Space Marines for two years, but I suddenly got the itch to do something different. A friend had been talking about abandoning his Necron army and was considering which army to collect next. That got me thinking a lot about what the different armies are like. I didn't know much about Eldar - no one in my regular group plays them - but I really like the models. I picked up the Codex and began to read. And I thought, wow, these guys are freaking sweet!


So here's the deal I made with myself - I won't buy anything new until what I have is painted, and I won't play with anything until it is painted. This is to keep myself focused on the project, and so far it is paying off.


I'm not sure what sort of army I'll be building yet, so I started out with a few units I'm pretty confident I'll use, and we'll go from there. In future posts I'll suggest some army lists I'm thinking about for different sized games and get your input. To start with, I've got a farseer, a squad of dire avengers (x10), a wave serpent with shuri-cannon and T-L EML, and 5x warp spiders.


I'll be assembling the army is a custom craftworld. Look for upcoming fluff as I develop the craftworld background. For now, I've got colors - Hormagaunt Purple and Hawk Turquoise. The aspect warriors will be painted using their official colors. This is one of the things I really like about Eldar. I really got tired of painting my space marine army because I was just using the same color scheme over and over again! But the Eldar have the opportunity to have varied color schemes. This keeps it interesting. Already I can't wait to try something different.


I started painting the Dire Avengers last night. I recently acquired a GW spray gun, and I decided to use it to basecoat them. I made something of a mess (I wound up with blue hands), but the spray gun was really effective at basecoating. Within 10-15 minutes, I had basecoated nine DA's. (The tenth one was already painted up as a test job to see how the different colors worked together.) I'll post some WIP photos later on.

So, coming soon in Eldar posts:
  • WIP photos, discussion of painting & modeling techniques
  • Army list ideas and next purchases
  • Craftworld development

No comments:

Post a Comment