Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Eldar Army - WIP Part 3

Finished up the Dire Avengers. Here's a finished pic of the group, followed by a series of stage by stage photos for the Exarch. (I can't figure out why I can't put in larger sized photos. Sorry. One day I will put up a whole gallery of images once I figure out how to take better photos and use the blog tools better.)



Started with the GW Spraygun and a pot of regal blue over black primer. Then painted on a couple more coats of regal blue to bring up the brightness a bit.




Regal blue lightened with a bit of white, built up on the armor in a couple of layers. Starting to see some of the definition in the model.

Well, maybe we missed a few photos in here. My rechargeable batteries suck. But basically, helmet, banner, and tabards were painted astronomican gray thinned and lightened up towards white. Washed with asurmen blue wash. Guns are black with two layers of gray. The top of the gun is bone washed brown and highlighted with lightened bone. Crest is pretty straighforward. Painted it with a brownish foundation paint (some fleshy color), then with my primary colors, washed, then highlighted.

The finished model. I did some more highlighting and evening up around the helmet. Highlighted the armor to add further definition. I did a freehand Dire Avengers symbol on both sides of the banner, which I'm fairly happy with (I suck at freehand). I also did a little doodle on the front of his tabard which you can't really see in this photo. His base is a bit of sand and a chunk of a wine cork. Eyes are shaded with purple.

Here's the finished gang in another shot.


Promptly started to work on the Farseer. My batteries were dead so you missed a number of steps. My primary colors here are hormagaunt purple and hawk turquoise (and bleached bone). I use the purple wash to brighten up the hues of the lightened hormagaunt purple. For the hawk turquoise, I started with orchide green base and washed darker areas with asurmen blue. I'm working on a NMM bronze for the blade. I wanted something that would look good with the model without re-using a color already on the model. My buddy shades suggested bronze, and so far I'm happy with the results. You can see the NMM effect better in the bottom two photos.

I absolutely love this model and intend to keep tinkering with it until it's looking top notch. I might take this to next year's Baltimore Games Day.


1 comment:

  1. Did you thin the asurmen blue wash at all? I have tried to achieve that effect but it always turns out very messy and difficult to clean up with the white

    ReplyDelete